I am not quite sure why but strawberries have been super cheap as of late. I of course find it necessary to buy a mass amount when I see cheap prices. Recently a giant thing of strawberries was $2.00 which naturally meant I must purchase them.
I love making jam which made for an easy decision. I made strawberry ginger jam with my purchase and the result is a tangy sweet spread.
Strawberry Ginger Jam
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 lb of strawberries (hulled and mashed)
- 1 packet of pectin
- 1 c of sugar (I used stevia)- if you like a sweeter jam, add more.
- Prepare canning jars in boiling hot water. Have close to cooking area.
- Place strawberries in deep sauce pan and mash with a potato masher.
- Toss in ginger, pectin and sugar.
- Bring mixture to a boil, stir constantly. Once mixture is boiling immediately transfer to jars.
- Clean the outer rim of jar and place in a cool dry place for 24 hours, then transfer to the fridge.