I love a yummy, low calorie, on-the-go snack. I created this recipe on the fly and it is great! These bars are sweet, savory, and crunchy… perfect combo. Side note: your house will smell AMAZING after you bake these!
Gluten Free Coconut Cinnamon Chewy Bars
only 95 calories!
2 tbsp coconut shreds
1 c cinnamon apple chex
1 c cinnamon chex
1 c gluten free puffins
5 unsulfered apricots (chopped)
1 c of sugar free maple syrup
1 tbsp honey
1 packet of cinnamon almonds (chopped)
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place cereal in a ziploc bag, release the air, and then crush the cereal with your hand. You can use a rolling pin, but I chose not to because I wanted to have larger chunks in the bar.
- Empty bag of cereal into baking dish (dish needs to have enough room to allow cereal to spread evenly). Place in oven for 7 minutes.
- Place toasted cereal in a mixing bowl (electric distributes more evenly). Mix in syrup and remaining ingredients
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper and pour mixture into baking dish. Press mixture throughout dish, distribute evenly.
- Bake bars for 17 minutes (monitor). Remove from baking dish.
- Place cool bar sheet on cutting board.
- Cut into 10 squares.
Stephen has started studying for the Illinois State Bar Exam. This has been a long time coming and I am super excited for him. He is currently enrolled in a prep course that spans from now until the exam in February. Its an intensive course that will require approximately 8 to 10 hours of studying a day. As you can imagine I am not super excited to see less of him but I am happy he is crossing the finish line of this long journey that has been law school.
Since the weather has been gloomy and friends are out of town I have been baking like mad. I wanted to make Stephen treats to brighten up his study experience. The boy loves peanut butter and chocolate so I figured I would make some Bar Exam Bars.
I created this recipe and am quite pleased with the outcome. As I was making these bars I realized that the texture and consistency reminded me of my favorite Little Debbie… Star Crunch. As a kid I had a star crunch in my lunch everyday. Star crunch makes any boring lunch better and hopefully these bars will make study sessions just a little bit better too!
Disclaimer: I am not going to declare these are healthy in the least but a little sweet treat every now and then is okay… right? 🙂
Ooey Gooey Bar Exam Bars
I had a bunch of pictures and deleted them ALL on accident, tragic.
- 5 c of Rice Krispies (I used 365 Brown Puffed Rice)
- 1/4 c of butter
- 1 bag of mini marshmallows
- 3/4 c chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp PB2
- 1/2 c trail mix (I used Trader Joes PB Cup mix) OR assorted peanut mix
- 1/2 tsp peanut oil
- 1/3 c white chocolate chips
- 1/2 tbsp peanut butter
- Line a baking dish (the smaller the pan the thicker bars) with wax paper and set aside.
- In a microwave safe dish melt butter. Pour butter in mixing bowl (something deep enough to use an electric mixer if you do not have a stand mixer).
- Microwave marshmallows for 30 seconds. Pour marshmallows into mixing bowl. Mix butter and marshmallows on a medium speed until the mixture becomes very gooey.
- In a separate small bowl combine Pb2 mixture with water. Normally Pb2 calls for 1 tbsp of water… add more. You want this to equal about a 1/4 c o liquid.
- Slowly pour rice cereal into mixture. Make sure the cereal is evenly coated. Pour pb2 mixture into cereal mix.
- Pour chocolate chips and trail mix into mixture.
- Spoon mixture onto wax paper. Use a spoon to evenly distribute mixture in pan. Try to get the bars even and the sides in a straight line.
- Place the baking dish in the freezer for approximately 30 minutes (you need the mixture to harden).
- Take the wax paper out of the dish and flip the mixture onto cutting board. Use a sharp knife or dough cutter to evenly cut bars into squares.
- Once the bars are cut prepare the topping mixture. Place all ingredients in a microwave safe bowl and melt chocolate and peanut butter together. Use a fork to drizzle tops of bar.
Wrap bars in wax paper and secure with tape. Place in freezer until serving.
Pack your bar for studying and enjoy!