I love granola. I actually love being gluten free. I love gluten free granola… go figure.
Recently I have been purchasing a ton of granola for Stephen and I must say it is delicious However, the brand we like is pretty pricey (6.99 for a small bag). Lets be real… this post isnt about being frugal. I miss making granola, so you guessed it… I made some! I made a batch Saturday night and sadly burned it. I re did the recipe this evening and had much better luck.
In regards the ingredients I need to confess I LOVE chex. I have always been a fan but since I have learned that they are gluten free my love for them has deepened. Naturally I used chex in my granola and as you might have guessed… its the jam.
I feel I should put a disclaimer in. I didn’t really eat ceral growing up because I detested milk. Eating dry cereal is great but it does not compare to the greatness that is soaked cereal pieces in cold milk. I am incredibly biased towards all granola and cereal based foods now. My deprived childhood has led to an adult life filled with cereal addiction. WHEN WILL THE MADNESS END?!!?
Gluten Free Cinnamon and Chocolate Granola (aka Heaven)
.5 c= 1 serving
5 g fat
4 g protein
2 c cinnamon chex cereal
1 c gluten free oats
1.5 tbsp honey
.5 c organic apple sauce
1.5 tsp cinnamon
100 calorie package of cinnamon almonds
1/4 bar 365 dark chocolate with coconut
- Preheat oven to 350
- Place oats and chex in bowl. Mash chex with potato masher. Transfer to baking dish and heat for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl mix together honey, cinnamon, and apple sauce.
- Remove oats from tray and evenly mix honey mixture into batter. *The key is to evenly coat the oat mixture
- Fold in nuts and chocolate
- Place in oven for 10 minutes- flip mixture- cook for an additional 7 minutes. Make sure to monitor.
- Remove from oven and place in open air until cool. Place in sealed container and store. YUM!
Great over yogurt, cereal, or as a snack. You can even use this to make bars!