I am a somewhat stressed out person, actually, that’s an understatement, I am pretty much always stressed. My propensity to be the best at everything I do (once cited as a reason why Stephen loves me) often leads me to a place of stress and anxiety. I have really tried to make sure I am taking care of myself mentally and physically, but within the last month my normal routine just wasn’t cutting it. After some reflection and speaking with my people (therapist, friends, Stephen and acupuncturist) I have made some major changes and I am already feeling the amazing effects.
1. Thanks to Stephen’s self control, I am not consuming processed sugar. With the exception of one bite sized reeses, I haven’t had any in two weeks…. and I feel great.
2. I started going to yoga rather than working out at the gym. I love how it pushes you to concentrate on your breath and body. I am still struggling to decide whether I want to drop (or suspend) my gym membership and go full force to the studio. I think it would be fine while its warm out but I am nervous about winter.
3. It is spring which means WAY longer walks with Burtie Boo. Last Saturday Stephen and I walked 10 miles with little dumb dumb.
4. I take a new assortment of chinese herbs and they help provide me with more energy, which means I have cut down my coffee consumption.
5. I just bought a raw green blend for my mornings. Stephen and I just did shots of the nasty drink and I must say… it works.
6. My acupuncturist suggested I walk with my palms facing upwards because it pushes your chest to open and allow ease of breath. Simple yet effective, I highly recommend it.
7. We are now only eating organic fruit, with the exception of items like bananas and pineapple (thick outer layer). We signed up to receive organic pick up from local farms at New Leaf Grocer. Its not a big increase in price for us and I feel a lot better about the environmental and health impacts.
8. hugs, giving and getting more of them from Stephen 🙂
Also, I havent posted any recipes in a while but I must share the latest delicious and simple meal Stephen and I had. I didn’t take any pictures… but trust me, its good.
Red Lentil Curry (1 serving) served with Brown Rice
1/4 c red lentils
1 c organic low sodium veg broth
1 tsp curry powder
dash of red pepper flakes
half of a yellow onion (chopped)
1 tsp oil
1 tsp of fresh grated ginger
1 clove of minces garlic
1 cup organic spinach
Heat oil and onions in a pan (one that can be covered). Heat for about 2 minutes and add spices. Let cook for about 1 minute then add lentils and broth. Bring mixture to a boil, cover, and bring to a simmer for 20 minutes. At 20 minutes add spinach, stir so it can wilt. Serve with brown rice. VERY SIMPLE, but very flavorful and filling!